This week at Third and State, we updated you on the latest Pennsylvania jobs numbers, asked whether a House budget bill to be introduced on May 28 will include new cuts, explained how a loophole bill does not get the job done, highlighted an editorial raising concerns about the Governor's pension proposal, and shared resources from a webinar on expanding Medicaid coverage in Pennsylvania.
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT:
- On jobs and the economy, Mark Price has an update on the Pennsylvania jobs report released Friday.
- On state budget and taxes, Chris Lilienthal blogged that as Pennsylvania House leaders plan to introduce a 2013-14 budget bill, some in Harrisburg are looking at a delay in the phaseout of the capital stock and franchise tax to help close a budget gap. Michael Wood blogged that a recently-passed House bill to close corporate tax loopholes would fall far short of its goal and aggravate the state’s financial problems.
- On the Marcellus Shale, Chris Lilienthal blogged about an Associated Press story highlighting just how much Pennsylvania is giving up over time by enacting a very low Marcellus Shale impact fee.
- On public pensions, Jamar Thrasher blogged about a Philadelphia Inquirer editorial raising concerns about Governor Corbett's pension plan.
- Finally, we shared a video of a webinar hosted by the Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center on making the Medicaid expansion a reality in Pennsylvania.
IN OTHER NEWS:
- Read a Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center (PBPC) policy brief on the problems with a House bill to close corporate tax loopholes.
- Get the latest budget news at PBPC's State Budget and Tax Policy Page.
- Learn more about pension reform in Pennsylvania at the Keystone Research Center's Pensions Issue Page.
- Learn more about the federal opportunity to expand Medicaid coverage in Pennsylvania.
- Learn more about education in Pennsylvania with data on student enrollment, school funding and more.
MARK YOUR CALENDAR:
- Join the Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center on Tuesday, May 28 from 4 to 5 p.m. for a webinar on education funding in Pennsylvania. Learn more and register to participate.
- Join the Keystone Research Center and Pennsylvania Budget and Policy Center on Thursday, June 13 for our Annual Awards Dinner at the Hilton Harrisburg. Learn more and purchase tickets.